Friday 18 October 2013

Digipak

From the research I have done on Digipaks, I feel the theme of it needs to be continuous throughout to be most effective. If the theme changed on a different flip side to one that has a different design, it'd look  tacky and awful. This is the reason that has ensured me to create a design to hold for the actual design of the whole digipak. This will be based and sort of inspired from the front cover that has already been done, the 'Paper Shop Dave' band name displayed in newspaper font on a newspaper that is placed on a table with coffee stain, lighter etc.

  • This whole design idea will be done in black and white, a very popular and traditional colour scheme for the majority of newspaper nowadays as that is what it was always like in previous times and decades. I would like to find a very nice effect on Adobe photo shop to make all the texts and pictures on the digipak to look like they are drawn or sketched by someone to give it a more realist look.

  • Font has to be the most consistent of all for a digipak. It has to portray the character of the artists and what they and their music is all about primarily. The greatest example that I have previously researched is the 'Paul Simon' magazine advert. The font on his magazine advert is his signature font used frequently throughout most his hardware products such as CD albums and his digipaks. It is very sophisticated which represents his music very well. With it being bold and slick, it looks very formal as well, this explains more on the side of his mis en scene and image he portrays. Not necessarily eye catching but smart.
For the font I will be using, is the most common italic newspaper headline font displayed below. It is the font I used in the design for the Paper Shop Dave digipak cover. I will keep the font and colour scheme of black and white consistent throughout.



After deciding my font and colour scheme, I remembered that due to such concentration on my filming and editing schedule that I actually need to focus some attention on the photo shoot that needs to be done. Band photos of performance and just day to day photos need to be took to a quality that I am satisfied with. After taking several different shots in various locations and mis en scene, it will help me create my 'Beatles - Revolver' inspired hand drawn band collage. Time will be used across half-term for filming the second part narrative better and capturing better performance shots, but also taking nice to the eye still shots, basically a photo shoot.

Individual dimensions:
Height - 125.5
Width - 138.5

Font :

Full digipak dimensions:

Width - 431
Height - 251

Full Digipak:




The final product is displayed above. I feel it has surpassed my expectations on how it was going to be. The scheme was kept throughout the whole of the digipak, which proved to be the hardest factor of the whole project. Being creative with what was going to be on the digipak panels didn't prove an issue for me, in which in planning it, I thought was going to be. It has changed from my initial plans. I find this occurs often, at the planning stage I am satisfied with the ideas that I come up with, and then change it once I get to the stage of completing the project.

I took inspiration from previously done album artworks, for example the collage page on the bottom left is a design based on the Beatles' 'The Revolver' album.









No comments:

Post a Comment